At The Grommet, we truly believe that every purchase is an act of citizenship. That's why we launch undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Browse our Citizens Gallery to learn about these ideas or post your own. Buy differently.
We launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Buy differently.
The Grommet is a highly curated online marketplace and launch platform for products of great utility, style or invention that haven't hit the big-time yet. The Grommet seeks out these unique products, carefully tests them, and produces a review of each one telling the story behind its creation. The Grommet is rooted in the philosophy of Citizen Commerce™ whereby regular people form the consumer experience by suggesting products that reflect their values and interests. The Grommet is rethinking the way people fundamentally launch, discover, share, influence and buy products online. The company was also just named one of the hottest sites of 2013 by Internet Retailer.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode.
We're seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on the Grommet's team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to putting the job position in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why you are good fit for this position?
- What your ideal career path is over the next few years?
- Why you are suited to work in a start up?
What you'll be doing
- Maintain code integrity of production environment
- Develop modules and plug-ins across the e-commerce platform
- Develop best-practice extensions to address business needs
- Identify and resolve possible conflicts between existing customizations and new code
- Ensuring platform integrity
- Provide database (MySQL) support, e.g. post-crash cleanup, index repairs, etc.
- Develop scripts for cron jobs and proper monitoring
- Provide web server (Apache) maintenance
What you need for this position:
- 1-3 years overall software development experience
- Understanding of Model-View-Controller application development
- Proficiency with versioning systems and repositories, namely SVN
- Experience with SOAP, REST & XML-RPC Web service APIs
- Full understanding of HTTP servers, namely Apache
- Local applicants only
Please submit your RESUME and a one page COVER LETTER to firstname.lastname@example.org putting the job position in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
1. Why you are good fit for this position?
2. What your ideal career path is over the next few years?
Digital Media Intern
We are looking for a digital media intern who will work with our media team to create a palette of stunning visual images, that will showcase our Grommet products and illuminate their stories. Technically skilled and highly creative, the Media Intern helps to define The Grommet brand through photography and video while learning the essentials to maintaining & operating a media-based company. We offer challenging and engaging work, a beautiful work studio, talented mentors and excellent equipment. This is a paid internship and we are looking for someone who could start immediately and devote approximately 15 -20 hours per week (schedule is flexible) to assist and learn how a fast paced, cutting edge media team operates.
- Optimize and re-size images to company standards for web use
- Work with photographer and other media team members to ensure product accuracy and image consistency
- Review vendor images to make sure that they are images that we can use. Review for both size and quality
- Use Adobe Photoshop to retouch ( retouch, crop, color correct, color-shift as necessary) to produce high quality product jpegs
- Upload final photography to POP Shop
- Assist in video production with the opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge while building a robust portfolio
- Assist in setting up studio shoot (including lights, cameras and audio recording equipment)
- Shadow in b-roll shoots that are used to visual narrate videos
- Edit studio shoots into rough video cuts to serve as a starting point for post production process
- Maintain the media archive to assure that media assets are secure, accessible and organized
- Software: Proficient in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (or higher), Adobe Bridge or Lightroom; Experience with Final Cut Pro (or a comparable video editing software), Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient with a DSLR camera
- Organized & detailed oriented
- Great communication skills to work in a fast-paced team environment with a variety of people.