At The Grommet, we truly believe that every purchase is an act of citizenship. That's why we launch undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Browse our Citizens Gallery to learn about these ideas or post your own. Buy differently.
We launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Buy differently.
The Grommet is a highly curated online marketplace and launch platform for products of great utility, style or invention that haven't hit the big-time yet. The Grommet seeks out these unique products, carefully tests them, and produces a review of each one telling the story behind its creation. The Grommet is rooted in the philosophy of Citizen Commerce™ whereby regular people form the consumer experience by suggesting products that reflect their values and interests. The Grommet is rethinking the way people fundamentally launch, discover, share, influence and buy products online. The company was also just named one of the hottest sites of 2013 by Internet Retailer.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode.
We're seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on the Grommet's team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to putting the job position in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why you are good fit for this position?
- What your ideal career path is over the next few years?
- Why you are suited to work in a start up?
The Email Campaign Specialist will work in partnership with the Marketing Director to set up, QA and execute all marketing email campaigns. This role will work closely with Discovery Managers, Creative Team, Community team representatives and the rest of the Marketing team to deliver the correct message to the right customers at a specific time.
- You are efficient and able to juggle many tasks at once and focus effort based on established priorities. You have excellent attention to detail and can work quickly but carefully, and always check your work to prevent errors. You thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Communication: You have effective verbal and written communications skills. You can interact with various levels and team across the organization, and are diligent about closing out open issues and communicating the outcome to those who were affected.
- Analytical: You are proficient at analyzing data, hypothesizing and testing to optimize results. You are driven to constantly improve performance.
- Problem Solving: You are resourceful and persistent to resolve open issues, continually looking out for recurring issues that might be prevented in the future by making our product or communications better.
- Email Best Practices: You are knowledgeable of email best practices and continually monitor industry trends, technologies and standards to be able to research and recommend new technologies as they emerge.
- HTML Skills: You have basic knowledge and experience with HTML and CSS. You have the ability to effectively troubleshoot potential issues with different browsers and email platforms.
- Computer Tools: You are comfortable with various applications and can quickly learn new tools. You are proficient with the following tools:
Microsoft Word and Excel
Past experience with Listrak or other email service provider
- Coordinate the build of launch/merchandising mailings
- Execute launch/merchandising mailings
- Create design briefs and gather assets to execute against planned marketing mailings
- Execute all planned marketing mailings
- Oversee QA of emails
- Work with our Discovery (launch/merchandising) team to determine optimization plan and any a/b-testing plan for daily mailings. Articulate goals, success determinant and execution plan
- Execute and report on A/B tests
- Conceptualize new email marketing programs and outline execution
- Outline optimization plans for all ongoing campaigns including:
- Set up email campaign segmentation (filters and data tables)
- Coordinate email dynamic to increase the relevancy and personalization levels of campaigns
- Create and QA promotional coupon codes associated with email campaigns
- Maintain email marketing calendar for dedicated mailings and content areas within merchandising mailings
- Set and communicate goals for engagement and for conversion
- Keep abreast of Listrak system capabilities to maximize value
- Recommend and execute any changes to the Preference Center
- High Level Monthly reporting
- Monitor deliverability and escalate any issues
- Research and respond to customer service tickets related to emails and promotions
- Maintain knowledge of email industry best practices and standards
Summer 2014 Interns
Internship Program Description:
The Grommet’s internship program will provide talented students with hands-on educational experience at a leading startup company in the product launch space. We are a rapidly growing team and interns will be able to assist with key projects that directly relate to the growth of the business and retain ownership over projects from start to finish. They will work with leading experts in the fields of product development, operations, sales, marketing, and video creation. In addition, interns will participate in professional development opportunities such as lunch & learns, training seminars and group volunteering options. The Grommet is located in Somerville on the Red line for easy access to public transportation.
We are looking for:
- 4 talented interns to join the following teams: Discovery, Media, Marketing & Operations, Design
- Ability to commit for 9 week program starting June 2nd and ending August 1st
- Interns will need to bring their own laptops and cell phones
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Strong ability to multitask
- Enthusiastic, entrepreneurial spirit
- Familiarity with, or interest in learning about, a startup environment and culture
Work Life and Educational Stipend:
- We are offering $10 per hour for the 9 week commitment. We expect interns to commit to 35 hours to 40 hours per week.
- Educational experience with lunch & learns, trainings, tips & tricks seminars
- Ability to partake in fun, vibrant startup culture including summer parties, free snacks, yoga.
No onsite parking available.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to Careers@theGrommet.com putting the three words “Summer 2014 Intern” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please tell us about yourself by answering these questions:
- What you hope to gain from an internship at The Grommet?
- What are your interests? What are your professional goals after graduation?
- Is there a specific department that would interest you - Discovery, Media, Marketing, Design and New Business Development?
- Dates of availability for the Summer.
A summer intern would work with the Launch team, gain a deep understanding of our business and support our daily launch activities.
- Merchandising: work with the launch managers to help evaluate products by supporting us with testing, data collection, and evaluation.
- Launch Support: support the launch managers to collect and communicate the details necessary for a successful Grommet launch:
Follow-up on asset requests to collect founder footage, photos, product details, etc.;
Serve as Liaison to the Customer Experience Team by maintaining the launching grommets cabinet and holding weekly meetings to review the products’ stories with the team prior to launch.
Website QA: proofread, check details, make small changes in the backend to provide a better user experience.
Citizen Gallery Development: engage companies to submit ideas to The Grommet’s Citizen Gallery and evaluate the products that come in each day.
Sample Management: organize a sample sale for charity, return what we cannot use, archive the rest.
Record Management: learn to use salesforce and help to update and maintain contact records.
Blog: write posts about the launch process and experience for The Grommet blog.
Summer Goal: bring a product through the full launch process, from sample curation to launch day.
DIGITAL MEDIA INTERN:
The digital media intern will work with our media team to create a library to house the visual assets that showcase our Grommet products and illuminate their stories. We offer challenging and engaging work, a beautiful work studio, talented mentors and excellent equipment.
Assist in video production with the opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge while building a robust portfolio.
Assist in setting up studio shoot, including lights, cameras and audio recording equipment.
Shadow in b-roll shoots that are used to visually narrate videos.
Edit studio shoots into rough video cuts to serve as a starting point for post production process.
Further develop and maintain the media archive to assure that media assets are secure, accessible and organized.
Additional Digital Media Qualification Requirements:
Software: Experience in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (or higher), Adobe Bridge or Lightroom; Experience with Final Cut Pro (or a comparable video editing software); Adobe Creative Suite
Technically skilled, highly organized, detail-oriented
Great communication skills to work in a fast-paced team environment with a variety of people.
The summer intern would work with the Design Team to assist with various design-related tasks, as project needs demand. Projects will be adjusted in scope and responsibility depending on skill level.
Update and maintain the Testimonials book, which includes design, type-setting, and printing.
Reorganize our library of digital and inspirational examples and present to the team.
Create digital banners for Marketing; create various social media and blog graphics as needed.
Depending on skill level, create and code email designs
Weekly graphics creation and image rework for the Sunday Newsletter and Boston Finds.
Creative brainstorming with Design and Marketing teams
Manage business card updates and production
Assist with Wholesale Platform brochures, sell-sheets, and postcard creation and production
Additional Design Qualification Requirements:
Fluent with Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Photoshop
Solid understanding of typography and layout
Strong design aesthetic
Design portfolio or work samples are a plus
MARKETING & OPERATIONS INTERN:
The summer intern will work with the Marketing and Retail teams to work on a discrete piece of analysis around first-purchase experience and to gain a deep understanding of account management with retailers across a spectrum of size and scope, from small regional players to multinational corporations.
Research, analyze, define, and make recommendations surrounding the first purchase experience of a Grommet supporter.
Define The Grommet's current first purchase experience.
Create and conduct surveys to gather supporters' opinions about their first purchase.
If necessary, create and conduct in-depth interviews to further understand or clarify issues that are revealed within the survey results.
Analyze the results of the survey and any interviews.
Research other commerce sites and their first purchase experience.
Make recommendations for improving The Grommet's first purchase experience.
Sales: Identify new partnerships with retailers of all sizes, build presentation decks, and identify grommets with strong aligmnet for those particular retailers.
Account Management: Serve as an Account Manager for and liaison between Grommet Makers and Retail Partners.
Operational Support: Support all operational aspects of the retail program, including creating and issuing purchase orders, routing shipments, and assisting product rep groups.
Support existing retail partnerships and relationships with assets, agreements, and outreach
Identify, prospect, and sign on small to mid-sized retailers to The Grommet’s new wholesale platform
Assist and serve as point of contact for The Grommet’s product rep groups
Communicate with Makers to issue purchase orders and provide support as required