At The Grommet, we truly believe that every purchase is an act of citizenship. That's why we launch undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Browse our Citizens' Gallery to learn about these ideas or post your own. Buy differently.
We launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Buy differently.
The Grommet is a product launch platform. This means we find unique, undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our goal is to level the playing field so the best companies can win. Until The Grommet came along in 2008, that was simply not always the case. We have attracted a powerful community of Makers, Retailers and Consumers whose enthusiasm for suggesting, sharing, and buying Grommets ensures the survival and growth of the ground-breaking companies behind them. We are rooted in the philosophy of Citizen Commerce™ whereby regular people form the consumer experience by suggesting products that reflect their values and interests.
In the summer of 2014 we launched a new Wholesale Platform at the White House Maker Faire to connect these independent Makers with Main Street Retailers, supporting both and ensuring their success. Our end goal is that within five years 10% of all products flowing through U.S. retail will be originating from independent small-scale Makers, creating vibrant jobs and innovative products in every corner of our country.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode.
We're seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on the Grommet's team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to putting the job position in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why you are good fit for this position?
- What your ideal career path is over the next few years?
- Why you are suited to work in a start up?
The Technology & Gadgets Discovery Manager at The Grommet is part product hunter, part e-commerce merchant, and part storyteller. You’ll ID the best of wearable tech, and you’ll know the moment a 3D printer is ready for the masses. You’re familiar with Raspberry Pi, but you’d rather scour the earth to find a product that’s ready to be discovered.
Your job will be to build partnerships with makers for our technology, gadgets, travel, and outdoor gear categories. Responsible for key story points, merchandise assortment, consumer offer and partnership terms, this role serves as the internal champion for our makers’ brands. You will also be the point person on strategy, execution and outcomes to ensure business success.
- Participates in editorial line planning to ensure the right balance of products across categories, price points and seasonal relevance
- Provides constructive evaluations in product review meetings informed by sales reports, audience insights and consumer trends
- Structures partnerships and manages The Grommet creation process. Articulates our value and requirements. Secures agreements.
- Develops vision and strategy on the content side to assure successful Grommet launches
- Supplies direction to content team on story points, brand messaging, historical perspective, alternative uses
- Plans strategic assortments, pricing and special offers. Builds an offer that is compelling and competitive
- Owns key business results - Drives revenue growth and conversion through the right product mix and engaging storytelling
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA preferred
- 2-4 years ecommerce, marketing and/or merchandising experience
- Expect some travel for trade shows such as CES and Outdoor Retailer, as well as Maker Faires
- Desire and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to effectively lead work on multiple projects in various phases and under tight deadlines
- Has a passion for technology, consumer products and entrepreneurship
We are seeking an experienced Senior Copywriter who can create intelligent and original content in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented creative atmosphere. You will be able to take a creative concept and execute compelling copy based on specific marketing, product and design goals.
We are looking for a unique individual whose professional experience demonstrates three important qualities:
- You are process-driven and multi-task to bring projects to successful completion on time
- You have solid and extensive experience writing copy within a creative environment across a range of products and features
- You can effortlessly communicate design objectives and marketing goals into amazing copy
The core responsibilities of this position include developing brand-driven and thought-provoking Maker stories working from written key story points and independent research. You will also craft short video scripts that highlight the stories of Grommet Makers and create original campaign content in collaboration with our Marketing team.
Other activities & responsibilities:
- Create copy for our marketing and branding collateral
- Work with our visual designers on concept development
- Work with the production team to meet all deadlines
- Manage contract writers and proofreaders
- Perform proofreading duties and other copy related tasks
- Communicate our company's products and services in a way that is aligned with The Grommet’s purpose and culture
Core Competencies & Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience writing for online channels**
- Email direct response copywriting experience strongly preferred
- Must embrace and be effective working in a collaborative team environment
- Possess an enthusiastic disposition for communicating brand
- Must be flexible and adaptable to constantly changing methods and objectives
- Detail oriented
- Strong proofreading skills
- Multi-tasks and prioritizes accordingly
**Please provide writing samples when you apply.
Mission for the Role:
You will be the first external Product Management hire at The Grommet and thus be creating your own area in this fast growing organization. You will report to the CEO. You are the right person for this role if you:
- Embrace both the ambiguity and opportunity of an original business model and mission
- Have the confidence and preference to interact directly with customers to efficiently uncover problems and opportunities
- Can quickly derive field-based insights and respond with concrete business cases and product leadership
- Manage dev/design/media projects through to completion, evaluation, and improvement in a high growth, resource-conscious environment where you need to influence--but do not control--the teams doing the work you are leading
- Like to start things
- Need independence to run your area of a company
Objectives for the Role:
- Responsible for the full breadth of our product development activities:
- online e-commerce functionality and delivery of our product launch platform/Citizen Commerce mission for our branded websites: consumer and wholesale
- eventual expansion to international sites
- eventual development of additional mobile/tablet functionality
- Leadership of product management (not direct execution of):
- backend operational functionality that makes our business hum; you have to care about what happens behind the scenes as much as the stuff on the surface
- Partners with E-Commerce, Operations, Media, Business Development, Finance, Discovery and Marketing teams to define business needs, use cases, and goals for new investments. Creates measurable business value utilizing the design, media, and development resources
- Maintains and evolves product roadmap, including everything from immediate next steps to intermediate milestones that drive towards the product vision
- Creates a discipline of ongoing, direct contact with customers to inform our product development
- Creates deployable user stories and UX guidance which describe the product in simple terms for the development team to manage
- Uses external data, benchmark and best practices to introduce improvements
- Ensure a healthy level of consistency for the team in terms of direction and prioritization by ensuring the backlog is groomed and prioritized according to the KPI and strategy driven vision and roadmap
- Develop, monitor and communicate KPIs to stakeholders
- Develops hypotheses to improve KPI's. Conducts customer research to validate hypotheses
- Performs cost and benefit analysis of proposed projects
- Responsible for eventual staffing, onboarding and integrating new product management team members
- Set annual goals along with company and team strategy and business expectations
- Responsible for team developments (training, career goals, coaching, feedback, career path)
- Demonstrated skill in UX/UI best practices
- Strong field research experience and best practices
- Strong knowledge of agile development practices, methodologies, and tools
- Direct hands on experience with writing user stories, grooming product backlogs and coordinating/prioritizing conflicting requirements in a fast paced, ever changing environment
- 1+ years technical experience (e.g. as software developer) would be desirable, but not mandatory
- Experience in e-commerce highly desirable and close to mandatory; experience with Magento a plus
- Experience in directly providing customer support a plus
- Outstanding technical and non-technical communication skills
- Ability to thoroughly understand complex business and technical issues and influence decision making at all levels of the organization without formal reporting structure authority
- Like to have fun at work and embrace the fast-pace, fluid demands, interdependencies and respect created in a high-performance team
What you'll be doing:
- Maintain code integrity of production environment
- Develop modules and plug-ins across the e-commerce platform
- Develop best-practice extensions to address business needs
- Identify and resolve possible conflicts between existing customizations and new code
- Ensuring platform integrity
- Provide database (MySQL) support, e.g. post-crash cleanup, index repairs, etc.
- Develop scripts for cron jobs and proper monitoring
- Provide web server (Apache) maintenance
What you need for this position:
- 3-5 years overall software development experience
- Full understanding of Model-View-Controller application development
- Proficiency with versioning systems and repositories, namely SVN
- Experience with SOAP, REST & XML-RPC Web service APIs
- Familiarity with Facebook & Twitter integration
- Full understanding of HTTP servers, namely Apache
- Ecommerce experience strongly preferred
- Local applicants only
You were born to crush tickets. You love talking to people on the phone and online, and the idea of helping someone gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. You are detail oriented and have a “get stuff done” attitude. You are a multitasking ninja who learns fast and types even faster. In addition to being a ninja, you are also a tech savvy sorcerer, if that’s not too much to ask.
- Email/Live Chat and Phone Support: You will handle incoming inquiries from our customers. There are various reasons why they reach out to us: to check order status, to ask about our products, to initiate a return, etc. You will often need to look into a number of online systems to sleuth the situation, a la Nancy Drew.
- Hours per Week: This is a 40 hour a week position, paid hourly. These hours will be distributed throughout the day and night (from 9am -9pm) and on weekends. You must be open to working nights and weekends and occasionally some paid overtime.
- Holidays: As an e-commerce company, holiday sales are kind of a big deal. We have federal holidays off, but you will be expected to work the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday), and some of Christmas Eve.
- Where: The Monday through Friday daytime hours should be at our office just outside bustling Davis Square.
- The Davis T stop is a jaunty 5 minute walk away. Buses run along Mass Ave, which is very close.
- The evening and weekend hours can possibly be from your home or from our office.
- Personal Computer and a Cell Phone: You will be provided a computer. You must have your own cell phone for calls and for texting the team. We will give you a headset so you can make VoIP calls to customers via our helpdesk software.
- Prior Customer Support Team Experience: This is a requirement.
- Comfort With Technology: Much of the job is centered on being on a computer, so you must feel very comfortable with technology. This, unfortunately, goes very far beyond Microsoft Word and Facebook! Our systems are extremely sophisticated. You must be able to demonstrate past working experience with complex computer systems of some sort. And you must be proficient in Excel, Gmail, GChat, and Google Docs. You will basically be a ‘detective,’ capable of checking multiple computer systems to get the answer to customer questions.
- Communication Skills: You must have strong writing & communication skills. You must feel very comfortable on the telephone, as a good percentage of the work will be done on the phone. Inquiry volume can be high so you must remain cool as a cucumber under pressure.
- Work Environment: We are a hot, growing, 50-person e-commerce company. Our office is a beautifully crafted modern-rustic oasis. You will love it here. We have free coffee and snacks!
- Fun and Fast Paced: You must be comfortable with a very fast paced environment. It’s a startup, you know the deal.
- Compensation: $13.00 per hour. Medical and dental benefits offered. Transportation reimbursement up to $40/mo.
- Deep Discounts: We offer deep discounts on hundreds of Grommets that are in our catalogue. Perfect for gift giving.
Please send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] In your cover letter, please answer the two questions below. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
- Why: Why would you like to be a part of The Grommet team?
- Computer Experience: Please detail your level of computer experience by listing software applications that you are very familiar with and very comfortable with. We are particularly interested in ticketing systems, web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE), Excel, Word, Google Docs Spreadsheets, and Google Doc word processing.