We launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Buy differently.
The Grommet is a product launch platform. This means we find unique, undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our goal is to level the playing field so the best companies can win. Until The Grommet came along in 2008, that was simply not always the case. We have attracted a powerful community of Makers, Retailers and Consumers whose enthusiasm for suggesting, sharing, and buying Grommets ensures the survival and growth of the ground-breaking companies behind them. We are rooted in the philosophy of Citizen Commerce™ whereby regular people form the consumer experience by suggesting products that reflect their values and interests.
In the summer of 2014 we launched a new Wholesale Platform at the White House Maker Faire to connect these independent Makers with Main Street Retailers, supporting both and ensuring their success. Our end goal is that within five years 10% of all products flowing through U.S. retail will be originating from independent small-scale Makers, creating vibrant jobs and innovative products in every corner of our country.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode.
We're seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on the Grommet's team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Culture of mentorship and learning – exposure to the start-up industry in Boston and an opportunity to learn through frequent information and expertise sharing, event-attendance, and presentations by our team members
- Incredible space about a 5 minute walk from Davis Square
- Yearly Bonus Incentive plan based on performance
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to [email protected], putting the job position in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- How did you hear about The Grommet?
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- What is your ideal career path over the next few years?
- Why are you suited to work in a start up?
We tell stories, and we need your help. If you’re interested in innovative products, hard-working entrepreneurs, and the stories behind them—and if you’ve got a knack for writing engaging copy—keep reading.
Our Copywriter will dig in to the products we sell (we “launch” at least one exciting new product Monday through Friday). We’re committed to finding meaningful products, and you’ll help us craft factual, entertaining scripts, stories, and other copy about those products and the people behind them (the “Makers”).
You’ll be exposed to many aspects of our business, from how the products are first selected, to shooting videos, to coming up with creative ways to intrigue our community of 2+ million Grommeteers.
The role reports directly to our Copy Director, who will mentor, advise, and edit your work, help you grow in this role, and cheer for your accomplishments. This is a fantastic opportunity to build a writing portfolio, to be involved in the Maker Movement, and to work with other talented, driven, energetic members of The Grommet team.
We have an open, casual work environment but we are all devoted professionals who work hard. Important: While there is an option for remote work, you will need to attend a weekly meeting at our offices and be on-site for other key meetings.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and portfolio or writing samples to [email protected] with “Copywriter” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters and portfolios or writing samples will not be reviewed.
- Write engaging copy for our products and Makers through scripts, stories, product descriptions, email subject lines, and more
- Collaborate with our Discovery team (the ones who find the products) and our Makers to understand the facts and nuances of each product and story
- Collaborate with our Marketing team to analyze our audience and understand what kinds of messages resonate with them Support Discovery Managers with follow up on asset requests -- founder footage, photos, details, etc.
- Other tasks as needed—like editing other team members’ work for grammar and spelling, writing copy for our website, emails, or whatever else might need to be done
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS in English, Journalism, Marketing or copywriting experience
- A terrific, engaging storyteller with intellectual curiosity, a good command of English, a sense of humor, and the ability to draw our community in
- The ability and interest to dive in to products, ask great questions, figure out where there may be inconsistencies or where a great story point is hiding, and pull it all together
- An interest in the Maker Movement, ecommerce, and entrepreneurship
- Able to learn fast, juggle multiple projects and tasks, meet deadlines, and stay focused in light of our continual schedule—we launch about 7 products per week, rain or shine, week after week, month after month
As Product/Lifestyle Photographer at The Grommet, your work brings to life a visual story that lives on our Product Launch Platform and creates success for our Makers. Your imagery engages consumers and retailers, helping them discover new-to-market products and supporting our work in redefining how products are understood.
Your excellent project management abilities will help you thrive in our fast- paced environment. You’ll be creating quality, captivating imagery across many different categories (from fashion to technology, food to toys) while managing multiple tasks in collaboration with a team. You will also weave styling, lighting and composition into photographs that tell the story of the products, suggest use cases, and help customers understand the products better.
Teamwork and collaboration is especially important at The Grommet, as copy, video, and photography all work together seamlessly to create an effective product launch. This is a high energy, engaging role, where you be challenged to illuminate the story behind each new product.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and link to website and/or online portfolio to [email protected] with “Photographer” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters and portfolio link will not be reviewed. Please note: portfolios will only be reviewed through links; applications with attached images will not be opened.
- Produce compelling product photography that will drive the business forward by thinking creatively with colors, environment, props, composition, etc.
- Shoot both lifestyle and still-life images, as well as SKU product photography
- Organize and plan for photography projects (daily launches, updates, wholesale, marketing, and special projects) to be completed by deadlines
- Schedule and execute effective photo shoots. To include: prop shopping, finding & scheduling models, selecting location, staging/setting up, and breaking down
- Edit photos with high attention to detail and consistency
- Advance team efficiencies with process improvements and organization
- Maintain and procure Grommet assets, props, samples, and photo equipment
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 years of professional photography experience required
- Photography degree or certificate from accredited photography program required
- Experience with professional DSLR systems (Canon EOS experience preferred) and Mac Operating Systems
- Knowledge of lighting with strobes, modifiers, reflectors, and other studio equipment; use of both artificial and natural light
- Familiarity of product photography techniques, including metals and plastic
- Experience directing people and groups in photo shoots
- Comprehensive utilization of Photoshop (i.e. silhouetting, creating shadows, blending, filters, masks, etc.)
- Styling with tasteful and visually appealing props to create strong compositions
- Time management and strong organizational skills, with high attention to detail
- Work as a team player with effective communication skills
A Discovery and Merchandising Buyer at The Grommet is part curator, part merchant, and part storyteller. The product of your work is an e-commerce-enabled Maker story that lives on our Product Launch Platform, and creates success for our Makers. Our work is changing the way products get launched and the way consumers and retailers discover new products.
As a Discovery and Merchandising Buyer, you will support the growth and scale of our business by forging new partnerships and onboarding new makers to our platform. Your daily work will create merchandise assortments, consumer offers and partnership terms for assigned categories. In this role you will be the internal champion for new Makers working with them throughout the launch process and collaborating with our creative team. You will foster close working relationships with the Discovery Managers, Media team, and Copywriters by strengthening our systems, advancing our processes, and elevating our launches. Each Buyer is thoroughly trained to handle launch responsibilities, interact with our makers and prepared to contribute on cross-functional projects across the organization.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills, fluidly articulating The Grommet’s value and requirements to engage Makers, both in writing and in person. You will be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and setting up success for the long-term relationship
- Develops vision and strategy on the content side to assure successful Grommet launches
- Supplies direction to content teams on story points, brand messaging, historical perspectives, alternative uses for products
- Support Discovery Managers with follow up on asset requests -- founder footage, photos, details, etc.
- Helps the team evaluate products by supporting us with testing, data collection and evaluation
- Structures partnerships and manages The Grommet launch process for Makers within a selection of category verticals. Use technology, social media and old fashioned business development techniques, to maintain a funnel of new Ideas and strong Maker relationships
- Learn to Q&A the website user experience; proofreading, checking details, and making small changes in the back end
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in a business-related field, 2-3 years of related experience, such as consumer products, buying, merchandising, and e-commerce
- Has a passion for consumer products, relationship building, entrepreneurship, and new to market ideas
- Desire and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to effectively work on multiple projects in various phases and under tight deadlines
- Strong affinity for details and amazing organizational skills
- Exceptional time and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills