At The Grommet, we truly believe that every purchase is an act of citizenship. That's why we launch undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Browse our Citizens' Gallery to learn about these ideas or post your own. Buy differently.
We launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. Buy differently.
The Grommet is a product launch platform. This means we find unique, undiscovered products and help them succeed. Our goal is to level the playing field so the best companies can win. Until The Grommet came along in 2008, that was simply not always the case. We have attracted a powerful community of Makers, Retailers and Consumers whose enthusiasm for suggesting, sharing, and buying Grommets ensures the survival and growth of the ground-breaking companies behind them. We are rooted in the philosophy of Citizen Commerce™ whereby regular people form the consumer experience by suggesting products that reflect their values and interests.
In the summer of 2014 we launched a new Wholesale Platform at the White House Maker Faire to connect these independent Makers with Main Street Retailers, supporting both and ensuring their success. Our end goal is that within five years 10% of all products flowing through U.S. retail will be originating from independent small-scale Makers, creating vibrant jobs and innovative products in every corner of our country.
Our team is composed of creative and driven individuals with unique vision who are building a disruptive product launch platform with no direct competitors. We have blue chip investors, including Rakuten, and are in high-growth mode.
We're seeking high-energy players who are eager to contribute to the growth of our company and to share in its success. These are high-potential positions on the Grommet's team with exposure and the opportunity to reach into all areas of this exciting company. Our team is growing, and these hires will have the opportunity to make a deep and immediate impact on our business.
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to [email protected], putting the job position in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- Why you are good fit for this position?
- What your ideal career path is over the next few years?
- Why you are suited to work in a start up?
The Grommet is a Product Launch Platform which means that we balance traditional e-commerce norms with launching and promoting a new product every day. As the Product Manager, you will set our Consumer product strategy, prioritize features, build consensus, and coordinate product schedules with a team of engineers and designers to ship high-quality experiences to our Grommet consumers. Responsibilities include analyzing, reviewing, recommending and building strategic and tactical changes that drive business profitability by increasing visitors, improving conversion rates, capturing larger average order sizes and managing margin performance while embracing both the ambiguity and opportunity of an original business model and mission. The position reports to the Vice President of Marketing.
Objectives of the Role - You will:
- Build and maintain a roadmap to delight our users while growing the business.
- Work with our Discovery and merchandising team to best display products and Makers’ stories.
- Build use cases and user stories around a product and communicate them effectively.
- Integrate usability studies, user research, market analysis, and community feedback into product requirements to ensure products satisfy user needs as well as wants.
- Inform product decisions with quantitative data on user behavior and experimentation (a/b testing).
- Define methods and metrics for identifying success and failure while ensuring the team is clear on their objectives.
- Coordinate with other Product owners (Wholesale etc.) to ensure the cohesiveness of the overall user experience.
- Be responsible for collaborating with cross-functional partners to manage all aspects of the eCommerce business including business planning, content strategy and development, promotional campaigns and other online marketing, website design, customer service, web analytics and web technologies
- Manage all aspects of web analytics related to eCommerce and communicate relevant information to team members, executive leadership and cross-functional partners
- Manage the user experience of the website including site navigation, content development, checkout funnel and promotional campaigns
- Develop Additional mobile/tablet functionality
- Identify new areas of eCommerce opportunity beyond current organizational thinking
- Generate and implement new sales and marketing initiatives to increase eCommerce sales and profitability
- Provide expertise on current eCommerce industry best practices.
- 3+ years of product management / product ownership experience
- Extensive knowledge of e-commerce technology and sophisticated analytics
- Outstanding analytical skills, strong experience interpreting test results & drawing conclusions
- Demonstrated strong business judgment and decision-making skills; ability to identify, prioritize, and articulate highest impact initiatives
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Strong user experience sensibilities and appreciation for minimal interface design
- Abilities to understand technical languages (including Magento/HTML/CSS/JS/SQL) and to work closely with engineers
- Strong use of analytics, user research and business cases to drive decisions and improve products
- Experience working for a startup a plus
- Experience as a designer, engineer or analyst a plus
- Like to have fun at work and embrace the fast-pace, fluid demands, interdependencies and respect created in a high-performance team
- Like to start things
- Need independence to run your area of a company
The Grommet is a launch platform for early-stage consumer products. We help Makers meet the mainstream retail market by creating product understanding, media amplification, and both online and brick and mortar distribution. The Business Development team targets and builds strategic partnerships and events that advance our mission beyond the core operations of our platform.
The BizDev Sr. Associate will play a vital role in identifying new opportunities, managing accounts, coordinating event logistics, and supporting test initiatives. The BizDev team is the startup within the startup, and all players must be nimble, motivated, and hungry. The successful candidate will be a self-directed critical thinker with a keen eye for details. They will be comfortable thinking on their feet and pivoting seamlessly with shifting priorities and new information. This person will be very organized and able to manage multiple projects and schedules simultaneously, but will have a big picture mindset and will connect projects to The Grommet’s core priorities with ease. He or she will enjoy the challenge of thinking five steps ahead while never missing a present beat.
- Event Coordination and Management. In 2014, the BizDev team piloted a series of meetups to connect with our Makers and Retailers. In 2015 we are doubling down on our event efforts by making sure we have an expanded presence at key trade shows and Maker Faires. The BizDev Sr. Associate will spearhead our coordination efforts and will be responsible for all coordination and logistics, under the supervision of the Business Development Director.
- Account Management. As we establish new partnerships, the BizDev Sr. Associate will be responsible for maintaining day to day relations with our partner companies and ensuring the programs we establish run smoothly.
- Presentation Support. Create initial drafts of speaking decks and presentations for a variety of audiences. Creatively and intelligently showcase our business using strong imagery (including our own) and sophisticated copy.
- Team Meeting Logistics. The Grommet team assembles each Thursday to cover current business topics. The BizDev Sr. Associate is responsible for running the meeting. This responsibility includes working with top leadership to build the agenda, collate materials, handle weekly tech, and keep the meeting moving on schedule. While a small portion of the week, this highly visible task provides the opportunity to work across the organization.
- Calendar coordination and ad hoc support for the CEO. The Business Development team works closely with The Grommet founders to help drive our strategy through new business initiatives. As such, the BizDev Sr. Associate has a high level of exposure to top company leadership. With this exposure, comes a 5-10% time investment responsibility in supporting Jules directly with administrative coordination. The BizDev Sr. Associate may be called upon to arrange external meetings, ensure meeting preparedness, keep a birds eye view on Jules’ travel logistics, or provide other one-off measures of support.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- BA (all majors welcome) and 1-3 years post-college professional experience. This position has a lot of room for growth for someone one step beyond entry-level.
- Event coordination or management experience, whether in a professional capacity, through a volunteer position, or as a personal undertaking.
- Comfort with technology and an ability to learn and adapt to new systems.
- Demonstrated leadership across varying environments.
Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter to [email protected], including this job position in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed. In your cover letter, please address the following:
- How did you hear about this position?
- Why you are good fit for this position?
- What is your ideal career path over the next few years?
- Why you are suited to work in a start up?
The Grommet’s internship program will provide talented students with hands-on educational experience at a leading startup company in the product launch space. We are a rapidly growing team and interns will be able to assist with key projects that directly relate to the growth of the business and retain ownership over projects from start to finish. They will work with leading experts in the fields of Design, Wholesale Marketplace, Operations, and Digital Media. In addition, interns will participate in professional development opportunities such as lunch & learns, training seminars and group volunteering options. The Grommet is located in Somerville, just a 5 minute walk from Davis Square on the Red Line.
We are looking for:
- Ability to commit to a 9 week program starting June 1st and ending July 31st
- Interns will need to bring their own laptops and cell phones
- Enthusiastic, entrepreneurial spirit , with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Self-motivated and eager to learn, strong ability to multitask
- Familiarity with, or interest in learning about, a startup environment and culture
- Additional qualifications are listed under each internship
Work Life and Educational Stipend:
- We are offering $10 per hour for the 9 week commitment. We expect interns to commit to 35 hours to 40 hours per week, with the exception of Operations, which will be 15 to 20 hours per week
- There is no onsite parking or public transit reimbursement available.
- Educational experience with lunch & learns, trainings, tips & tricks seminars
- Ability to partake in fun, vibrant startup culture including summer parties, free snacks, yoga
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and a one page COVER LETTER to [email protected] putting “Summer 2015 Intern” in the subject line. Resumes received without cover letters will not be reviewed. In your cover letter, please tell us about yourself by answering these questions:
- How did you hear about us?
- Which specific internship interests you?
- What are your interests? What are your professional goals after graduation?
- What you hope to gain from an internship at The Grommet?
Internship Positions Available:
The Summer Design Intern will assist in various design-related tasks depending on the current projects in progress. This intern will report to the lead designer but will work with other teams on various projects.
- Create ad banners for Marketing
- Work with Marketing to create various social media and blog graphics as needed
- Design landing pages
- Design emails
- Creative brainstorming with Design and Marketing teams
- Manage Business card updates and production
- Assist with Wholesale Platform brochures, sell-sheets, and postcard creation and production
- Design portfolio of work samples required when submitting your resume
- Fluent with Adobe Creative Suite software, especially Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Solid understanding of typography and layout
- Strong design aesthetic
The Summer Wholesale Intern will work with the Wholesale team, concentrating on growing the retailer base and will get “in the trenches” experience, developing marketing plans and executing them, meeting retailers face to face, and working to plan and subsequently execute a nationwide trade show program. Please note: travel to summer trade shows is required and travel expenses will be fully reimbursed.
- Sales: Identify new partnerships with retailers of all sizes, build presentation decks, and identify grommets with strong alignment for those particular retailers
- Account Management: Serve as an Account Manager for and liaison between Grommet Makers and Retail Partners
- Trade Show Support: Support Grommet Wholesale team on 4-6 stop nationwide trade show tour
- Work to acquire new retailers
- Support existing retailer accounts at the show
- Sell products onsite and in booth
- Learn about a retailer and work on upselling and cross selling based on their merchandise assortment
- Assist with setup and breakdown at trade shows as needed
- Operational Support: Support all operational aspects of the retail program, including creating and issuing purchase orders, routing shipments, and other assistance as needed
- Communicate with Makers to issue purchase orders and provide support as required
- Undergraduate Junior or Senior studying Business, Marketing, Communication, or a related field
- Great interpersonal skills with high energy
- Able to speak with makers and retailers in a professional and comfortable manner in person, over the phone, and via e-mail
- Willingness to travel 25% of the internship including weekends
A Maker is an inventor, designer and tinkerer. They are the people and companies who spawn new ideas that inspire and stir the imagination of consumers. This team has direct contact with these Makers on a daily basis. Allowing for a much deeper dive into an ever-growing array of businesses and exposure to unique challenges. The Operations Intern would assist in various daily tasks essential to successful product launch on site. This internship is part time, approximately 15 to 20 hours per week.
- Ensure launches are prepped to go live on site prior to product launch
- Order verification
- Support purchasing and forecasting efforts
- Optimize process documentation with other team members
- Able to speak with makers in a professional and comfortable manner over the phone, as well as via e-mail
- Ability to think fast and provide creative solutions
- Analytical skills and experience with excel
The Summer Media Intern will assist in the Media team in updating product photography and video editing to create a library of all the visual assets that showcase our Grommet products and illuminate their stories.
- Assist in video production with the opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge while building a robust portfolio
- Assist in setting up studio shoots
- Shadow in b-roll shoots that are used to visually narrate videos
- Edit studio shoots into rough video cuts to serve as a starting point for post production processes
- Process and edit both Grommet and Partner photo assets
- Assist Photographer in photo shoots
- Software: Experience in Adobe Photoshop CS4 (or higher), Adobe Bridge or Lightroom, Experience with Final Cut Pro (or a comparable video editing software), Adobe Creative Suite