I recently found out that my friend Ali's husband Gav was not only a great chef, but that he has a blog devoted to sharing his amazing recipes. I asked him if he's be willing to share one of his mouth-watering creations and luckily for us, he obliged.
This sandwich was inspired by a recipe I saw Guy Fieri cook up once on Food Network. It's really a great example of how far we've come with grilled foods. This is almost the anti-burger 'n dogs you grew up with but it is incredibly good eats.
The flavors and textures work so well together, it's truly a thing of beauty. The crunch of the cabbage and red onion - the punch of flavor from the tequila marinated chicken and fried red pepper, the smooth, creamy mayo accent. This sandwich will floor 'em.
Margarita Chicken Sandwich
Adapted from Food Network
2 jalapenos, halved, seeded & thinly sliced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
4 tablespoons tequila
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 limes, juiced
2 teaspoons salt, divided
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to flatten
4 roasted sweet red bell peppers, drained & sliced to flatten
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cups canola oil
4 Kaiser rolls
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- In a medium mixing bowl add jalapenos, cilantro, tequila, garlic, red chili flakes, cumin, oregano, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt. Place the chicken breasts in a large resealable bag and pour in marinade. Let marinate in refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl add flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the garlic powder. In a small skillet heat the canola oil over Medium-High heat. Dredge peppers in flour mixture and fry until crispy. When done drain on paper towels.
- Heat grill to High. Remove chicken from marinade, and add chicken to the grill.
- Cook chicken thoroughly on both sides, flipping once, about 15-20 minutes total. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes then slice thin.
- Lightly toast rolls. Spread mayonnaise evenly among the rolls and then stack with the cabbage, onion, chicken breast and fried roasted peppers.